Corporate Social Responsibility at Sonova
Sonova makes an explicit commitment to continuously promote and pursue environmentally friendly practices throughout the entire lifecycle of its products and across all its business activities.
Sonova has an established corporate environmental policy that supports our commitment to behave proactively and describes our environmental performance management organization and responsibilities, along with their relevant environmental aspects and other management approaches. It also states that we are committed to compliance and performance in line with relevant environmental regulations throughout the entire lifecycle of our products and across all of our business activities.
Sonova endeavors to continuously reduce its environmental impact by adopting all improvements that are technically and economically feasible, with a particular focus on the life cycle of our products and on reducing our group-wide carbon footprint. We insist on environmentally friendly business practices throughout our supply chain: we do not restrict our environmental standards to our own operations, but consider them equally crucial in selecting our suppliers.
Sonova will drive...
reductions in its carbon footprint
optimization of its material use
reductions in waste
improvements in green product stewardship
reductions in its solvent use
reductions in its water consumption
green procurement assessments
Sonova plans strong efforts to further improve our environmental performance. We have updated our environmental program and complemented it with clearly defined targets, of which the three most important are:
- a 10% reduction from 2013/14 levels of production-related carbon emissions intensity by 2018/19
- a 10% reduction from 2013/14 levels of air travel-related carbon emissions intensity by 2018/19
- ensuring that 100% of our key suppliers are rated as having a qualified environmental management system in place by 2018/19
|Description & unit||Base Year: 2013||Target: 2018||Perfomance: 2014||Performance: 2015|
|Production-related carbon emissions intensity (in kg CO2eq per input unit)||1.96||1.76 (-10%)||1.95||2.23|
|Air travel-related carbon emissions intensity (in kg CO2eq per sales)||4.93||4.44 (-10%)||5.01||
|Key suppliers rated as having a qualified environmental management system (in %)||87.4||100||90.1||91.9|
- Operations center, Suzhou, China: A newly installed solar panel system at our operations center in Suzhou, China, covering 5,000 square meters, generated 466,000 kWh of green electricity in 2015. This solar system alone reduces group-wide carbon emissions from purchased electricity by 3.5% by substituting solar power for coal-derived electricity.
- Sonova Headquarters, Stäfa, Switzerland: an integral mobility program provides incentives to use public transport, accompanied by targeted awareness campaigns. This initiative increased the proportion of employees who commute using public transportation from 40% to 60% over the last 10 years.
- Business travels: Thanks to the implementation of new travel policies, carbon emissions from business flights were reduced in absolute terms by 10.2% compared to the previous year. Carbon emission intensity (expressed as t CO2eq / million CHF sales) decreased by 10.7%.
- Hearing instruments: Phonak has developed the next generation Venture technology platform, using a new chip technology that offers twice the processing power while reducing battery consumption up to 30%.
- Cochlear implants: HiRes™ Optima Sound Processing delivers optimized battery life with the same great performance as AB's patented HiRes Fidelity 120 processing. AB cochlear implant recipients using this new technology enjoy an average improvement of 55% in battery life.