About us - Leadership driven by innovation
As the world’s leading provider of innovative hearing care solutions, Sonova aims to make a lasting positive difference for people with hearing loss and those close to them. We have therefore embraced five commitments that define how we work to enhance the quality of life: by enabling better hearing, taking responsibility, and being honest and transparent with all our stakeholders.
Image: overview over the Sonova Commitments
At Sonova, we are committed – to our employees, our customers, our business partners, and the environment. We are committed to creating innovative, high-quality, safe products that meet our customers’ needs while adding social value and reducing environmental impact. Delivering on our commitments means working in a focused way, in teams around the globe, across our brands and business units, and in the closest cooperation with our customers and partners. That is how we will tackle the challenges ahead of us with confidence.
Lukas Braunschweiler, CEO
These commitments affect how we innovate, how we work every day, how we interact with our business partners and customers, how we provide opportunities for our employees, and how we encourage environmentally friendly practices.
Quality of life and access to hearing care
We improve the quality of life for millions of people with hearing loss.
We aim to provide access to hearing care and improve the quality of life for more than 12 million people worldwide by 2020.
- Product portfolio: At Sonova, we offer a wide range of performance and pricing levels, from standard to premium solutions. Affordable hearing care is still a challenge for people in countries with low to middle income and for underprivileged social groups in countries with high income. We cater to these groups through our charitable Hear the World Foundation.
- Hearing care infrastructure: By expanding our network in accessible markets, we can provide hearing care services and treatment to groups who are currently underserved.
- New channels: By developing new product and distribution formats, we can serve people in regions that have no current access to hearing care.
- Partnerships: By building productive partnerships with organizations in countries with low income and countries with high income, we can offer the fullest benefit of our skills and services to the people who need them.
- Foundation: Through our charitable Hear the World Foundation, we support disadvantaged people with hearing loss, raise awareness about hearing loss and its prevention, and provide hearing care in regions of the world where access to it is limited.
We continuously push the limits of technology and innovation to offer the best solutions to our customers.
Sonova maintains its industry-leading position through its relentless commitment to innovation – exemplified by the fact that around two-thirds of our hearing aids sales are generated by products less than two years from launch. By continuing our high level of investment in R&D (7-8% of total sales, one of the highest in the industry), and our rate of 40-60 patent applications each year, we will continue to offer the broadest range of technologically advanced hearing solutions to our customers.
- Shared knowledge: The unique complementary strengths of the Advanced Bionics and Phonak R&D teams open up a new horizon of hearing solutions.
- Investment in expertise: We continuously strengthen the expertise of hundreds of engineers working in our R&D centers around the world.
- Strategic focus on R&D: We drive innovation in hearing aids, cochlear implants, wireless communication systems, and professional hearing care solutions.
Investment in people
We offer a highly challenging, flexible work environment where our employees can grow personally and develop professionally.
Based on our systematic talent management processes, we will continue to develop our employees to higher levels of success with a special focus on leadership. By 2020, we aim to be filling at least half of all vacant leadership positions per year from inside the company.
- Strategic talent management: With integrated talent management processes such as talent acquisition, appraisal meetings, succession planning, career discussions and learning management, we offer a comprehensive and up-to-date development portfolio.
- Succession and career planning: We have a strategic approach to identifying key positions and leading individual career discussions with our high potentials in order to offer attractive perspectives to our employees and to leverage our most valuable resources for our sustainable, continued success.
- Sonova Academy: With a focus on leadership and sales, the Sonova Academy offers fully customized, global training programs as well as online content on our core competencies accessible to all employees.
Environmentally friendly practices
We promote and pursue environmentally friendly practices across all our business activities.
We aim to achive a 10% reduction from 2013/14 levels of production-related carbon emissions intensity by 2020.
- Operational energy efficiency: We reduce our carbon footprint by fully utilizing capacity, renewing equipment, remodeling existing buildings, or moving to new buildings.
- Alternative energy: We generate power using renewable sources and purchase green power.
- Local environmental champions continuously identify and realize improvement potential in order to reduce carbon emissions from operations at our group companies sites.
We give our employees the opportunity to help millions of others.
In a life without sound, our work provides meaning. We want to keep all our employees in touch with the wider benefits of what they do and the difference it makes to those with hearing loss.
- Clear brand values: As the world’s leading hearing care provider, we are not a company that makes products: we are a team on a mission to help people enjoy the delight of hearing. To enable a life without limitations, we design, manufacture and distribute solutions that push the limits of technology and redefine the future of our industry. At Sonova, our employees contribute to something greater than themselves – they transform lives.
- Internal and external employer communications: We explain our shared values and culture, so everyone knows how important their contribution is to Sonova and its mission. We invite and circulate in-depth feedback from the people who use our products, because they are an essential part of our community.
- Employee engagement: We give our people the chance to help in the work of the Hear the World Foundation, either by contributing personal voluntary involvement or specialist expertise.